#41 Fully remote teams, firing yourself, and retention with Brian Roland.
Share the goodness!
The Nice Podcast is brought to you by Futureforth.com. We help fast-growing tech companies onboard, create, and keep happier, more connected employees.
Brian Roland is a Social Entrepreneur and Founder of Abenity, the 6x Inc. 5000 Company that’s powering corporate perks for top brands, including U.S. Bank and MasterCard.
What we talked about…
- Coffee snobbery and a herniated disc.
- Starting Abenity as a fully remote team in 2006 led to his obsession with coffee.
- On founding the company with his brother and bootstrapping to millions of members and nearly $10M in annual revenue.
- Brian fired himself after thirteen years. He hired a CEO and President to run the business.
- Improving performance reviews and providing feedback.
- Focus on building momentum and scaling your business.
- Thirty team members across ten states – fully remote.
- Covid redirected their focus.
- Social mission sponsoring children with each client via WorldVision.
- “Just show up. You’re looking for the people who are looking for you.”
- Adding a task management platform like Asana to help communication.
- Hiring team members who already have relationships with staff is important.
- Open jobs are not advertised. They only tap their existing team for recommendations.
- Trust, respect, and accountability are already there as they onboard new people.
- The dangers of hybrid work and loneliness.
- Using DiSC personality assessments to determine how they will work remotely.
- Manage output over activity.
- Read Faith Driven Entrepreneur: What It Takes to Step Into Your Purpose and Pursue Your God-Given Call to Create by Henry Kaestner.
- Contact Brian at BrianRoland.com. Check out Rules of Engagement for Fully Remote Teams.
We ❤️ Our Listeners.
Please follow the show and leave a review wherever you subscribe to podcasts. Reviews and sharing the show are the nicest ways to support the podcast and are deeply appreciated. Thank you.
👋 Say hello email@example.com.
🐦 On Twitter @davedelaney.
❤️ Subscribe to the Nice Maker Newsletter at nicemaker.co.
🎸 Theme song is “Little Jane May,” and the end song is “Funny Feeling” by AlistairChristl.ca.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices