FIR #263: It’s Alive! (AI, That Is. Or Is it?)
Share the goodness!
In the monthly long-form episode for June, Neville and Shel consider a Google employee’s claim that the company’s AI has become sentient, the reactions the claim has provoked, and what it might mean for business communicators. Also in this episode:
- Is being in the office really the only way for employees who don’t normally work together to encounter one another?
- The tangled truth about NFTs and copyright
- Now that the metaverse is gaining momentum, it’s time to consider how to market and communicate there
- Should you spend any more time developing your personal brand?
- The state of PR is changing
In his tech report, Dan York talks about countries that want to change the Internet from a “permissionless” place to one where you have to pay for access to users.
The next monthly, long-form episode of FIR will drop on Monday, July 18. FIR “shorts” — episodes under 15 minutes — will appear once or twice each week.
We host a Communicators Zoom Chat each Thursday at 1 p.m. ET. For credentials needed to participate, contact Shel or Neville directly or request the credentials in our Facebook group or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
Links from this episode:
- FIR on Spotify
- Google engineer put on leave after saying AI chatbot has become sentient
- The Google engineer who thinks the company’s AI has come to life
- The dangerous fallacy of sentient AI
- Blake Lemoine Says Google’s LaMDA AI Faces ‘Bigotry’
- Google has not created sentient AI — yet
- The old rules don’t apply (The Small Data Forum Podcast)
- ‘Sentient’ artificial intelligence: Have we reached peak AI hype?
- Why We Need More Than Offices to Foster Connection and Belonging at Work
- Staying Visible When Your Team Is in the Office…But You’re WFH
- The Personal Brand Is Dead
- Marketing in the metaverse: An opportunity for innovation and experimentation
- SALT food and beverage marketing consultancy launches in metaverse
- Communicating In The Metaverse? Keep Your Eyes Wide Open
- ‘Copyright Trolls’ Are Suing People Over Creative Commons Photos
- New Muck Rack survey: The State of PR 2022
- ‘First to be chopped from the budget’: PR professionals weigh in on changing communications landscape as clients seek viral fame
- New #StateOfPR research finds a growing industry stunted by skills shortage
- CIPR State of the Profession 2022 (Slideshare; paywalled site)
Links from Dan York’s Report
- EU Telcos Want Big Tech and Streamers to Invest in Their Networks
- “Sender-pays” rule doesn’t necessarily increase telecom investment (from 2012)
- Old Rules in New Regulations – Why “Sender Pays” Is a Direct Threat to the Internet
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices